PLAY.OPBLOCKS.COM

Players online.

JOIN OUR DISCORD

0 Players Online

Seven Tips for Online Learning During COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilakerr

It is no secret that the COVID-19 outbreak has forced many of us to make major changes to our daily lives. Companies have moved to remote work, K-12 schools have embraced distance learning, and many college students who used to be enrolled on-campus are now enrolled in online courses.

While online learning carries many positive benefits that make it the preferred choice for millions of students, it doesn't come without its challenges--especially for students who are more familiar with in-person courses.

These seven tips are from Jonathan Small associate vice president of online education at Regis College. They will help you adjust your study habits for fully online learning.

Tips for taking online classes
1. You can look ahead to see when you have to submit your assignment.
Students who are taking online courses typically interact with the subject matter as well as their assignments using a learning management system (LMS). Regis online classes are conducted through Moodle. Other popular tools include Canvas or Blackboard.

No matter which LMS your course uses, it's important to spend some time getting to know the interface and your assigned assignments. You can look ahead at your assigned assignments and make note of the due dates to help you create a realistic plan for how you will complete your work.

Small states that an online class is more flexible than a face-to-face class because it uses modular structures. It is often difficult to remember when work is due because you are not physically there. Students need to manage their time in online classes.

2. Take the time to study, and then work in groups.
As with other universities, students often pursue their education at Regis while also having other responsibilities. There are many things that can take up your attention: childcare, work, family obligations, internships, and so on. It is important that you have a plan that will allow you to manage all these responsibilities.

Small says that "clunking tasks, as I like it to be called, give students a means to feel accomplished." You feel like your progress is being made. It's also a good idea to schedule study time.

3. For group projects, communicate regularly.
Group projects and assignments are common in college courses. This holds true for online courses just as well as for in-person classes. Small explains that online courses are more effective for group projects because they bring together people face-to-face. However, in-person classes allow for groups to work together, but online learners need to be extra careful to communicate effectively.

If they want to avoid confusion, groups need to prioritize communication.

Small advises, "Find a system that works well for everyone and keep in touch with them often."

4. Group work should be divided early.
In this vein, it is also important for groups of people to assign tasks in a way that everyone can be responsible for and that everyone understands what they are responsible for.

Small says, "Ensure that you plan ahead when working on group projects so that you can split the work up and coordinate your efforts." This will allow everyone to work when they have the time.

5. Make contact with your professor often.
Communication is important. Just like it is important to communicate regularly with your groupmates, classmates, and professors, it is equally important to communicate with them. You should make an effort to reach out to your professor, no matter if you have questions about a project or want to tell them where you are struggling.

Small states that speaking to your instructor is key to your success. Do not try to solve your problems on your own. Your instructor is here to help. You can save yourself days of stress by calling your instructor for just five minutes. You'll feel better and get clarity. This will make you more successful.

However, don't assume that communication is only possible when something goes wrong. Your professor can help you establish a good relationship by letting you know when something is going right.

6. Participate as much and as often as possible
Participation is essential to the success of any course, online or offline. Active participation will not only show your professor that it's engaging but also demonstrate that you are interested in learning and are willing to work hard to achieve your goals. Education is often seen as a passive process. Participation makes it an active one.

Small states that participation as a student is the best way to get the most out of your experience.

7. Be flexible
Online learning demands flexibility for both you and others in your course, including your professors.

Small says that instructors made the transition to remote teaching in a matter of days, which is the same time it took to move into online learning.

"Nobody expected this. Simply by being kind, compassionate, engaged in your courses, and speaking to your instructor, you can recreate the campus community and make the transition as seamless as possible.

Doing the work
Although online learning may not be the best option for you, following the advice given above will allow you to get the most from your courses. It is important to communicate clearly with your classmates and instructors. Also, it is important to stay engaged with the course material. This will help you succeed in difficult times.

Read also similar post at Student Job: http://www.studentjob.co.uk/blog/5757-best-online-exam-help-top-five-websites-you-can-trust

I would like to express my great gratitude to essay writing service https://paperwriter.com/write-my-thesis for their high-quality work and professionalism. Using this service, I received not only perfectly written essays, but also valuable advice on how to improve my writing style. The staff was very attentive to my needs and provided me with support at every step of the process. I am confident that my academic success has greatly improved due to their help. I recommend this essay writing service to all students who need help writing quality papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.