0 Players Online

Announcement March Code and Optimizations

Saito

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Administrator
Hi all!

I just want to make a quick announcement and explain what's happening with the server on the back end side of development. I'm sure you've all seen our new developers in game this month since Hihihih565 had to leave us in February. Essentially, we currently have three developers, and they are split up into two teams.

Nayuta is working on code optimizations and rewrites to improve lag and overall server performance. I'm sure you have noticed that since he joined we went from being able to hold 200 players to about 350 players in just one week, thanks to his tremendous improvements.

This past week we spent time planning out exactly what needs to be done to create a major boost to performance and get rid of the current causes of lag entirely. Essentially, on OP servers like Prison with high scaling custom enchantments, mining is the main source of lag.

Main issue:

The problem with mining is that it also scales with the amount of players online, and with the duration those players have been on the game. So for example a few weeks ago we were running perfect 20 TPS lag free at 350 players, but now we are struggling to hold 325 online because those players have been upgrading their enchants for weeks. Back then the average user online had a lower level enchanted pickaxe and was consuming a lot less server resources per player while mining. Now, lots of these players have maxed pickaxes, and the difference is pretty huge in how much CPU that uses up. Multiply that by the number of players online and you can quickly see how this scales to be a bigger problem.

Also, just to be clear, we use the best hardware servers money can buy. Everyday the server lags I hear uninformed users say things like "Add more ram?" and while I know you are trying to help, that's just really not how it works at all. Thank you for trying though and we hope you are patient with us as we continue to make improvements.

Solution:

Essentially he is working to completely rewrite all of the enchants and enchant related code that hooks into mining features such as AutoSell, Mines, Private Mines, Enchants, etc. All of these plugins will be rewritten from scratch to be as high performance as possible. We expect, once finished, to hold a minimum of 400 players at a perfectly stable 20 TPS. Potentially we could hold as high as 500, we don't know yet, but we are very optimistic about the plan we have made and the changes coming.

We expect this solution to take between 2 and 4 weeks, starting Monday, to be completed.

LynnLace and GotMilk are the other two developers, forming a team that is working mainly on new features and content updates. They are working primarily to brainstorm new ideas and work on future updates. Currently, a massive overhaul to the Fishing system on the server is in the works. As always I can't be leaking information about future updates, but these two guys (actually Lynn is a girl!) are very smart and dedicated to coming up with awesome content for us.

Bonus:

I've been holding back on going after really big advertisement campaigns until we can handle more players. There's no point spending a fortune on a bigger YouTuber or more sponsored slots while we are already capping players at 350/350 and struggling to hold that right now. Once we are stable after this big update, we'll see what we can handle and start advertising to fill the server to capacity.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment on this thread and let us know what you think, feedback is always graciously appreciated by the staff team and we love to know your thoughts on the matters at hand.

xFlied

Dedicated Member
eGirl developer?
Also will fishing levels be reset for the update?

No longer do we have to be terrorized by trkey's spaghetti code, hooray

Last edited:

Cattt_

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the new improvements as they happen.

Keep up the great work guys (and girls)!

Can't wait for all the new features, everyone can tell you are spending alot of time on this server to make it as enjoyable as possible. Keep up the great work staff.

Rainy

We Will All Will Be Waiting For It. And good job forgetting the server so popular and doing good things for the server.

I'm glad that we now have Nayuta since he does a really good job at fixing the server and making it stable. Looking forward to seeing more players and the fishing rework. <3

Looks great saito you've already done loads since taking over opblocks to improve server features and the addition of a stable player base keep it up