Welcome to OPBlocks!

PLAY.OPBLOCKS.COM

Players online.

JOIN OUR DISCORD

0 Players Online

Havoc's Tips to a Great Staff application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I do first?
The first step in Writing a good staff application is making sure you exceed the expectations of a regular staff application
as this shows that you are very dedicated to the community. Additionally, you
should look at Accepted applications and try to see what they have done which you
potentially have failed to do in the past, as a result of which you've been denied.

What you definitely should not do.
Without exception, you should never:
1. Spam Advertise people to check your app or spam chat with advertisements of your application.
2. Never demand that staff members to go and rate it.
3. Flame others & be a toxic player in general.
4. Break any rules on any server owned area ( Forums, Teamspeak, Server).
5. Steal other players staff applications because it shows that you arent fully applying your potential to be staff and on any server staff are expected to be the best they can.
6. Use improper grammar, Slang, Or swear.

What are some things you should do?
Under circumstances, you should:
1. Help players in game no matter what your doing.
2. Communicate with players/staff members over TeamSpeak or skype.
3. Maintain activity on all platforms (Teamspeak, Forums, Server)
4. Ensure your posts are helpful, and contribute
5. Use great English!

Where do I need detail?
Obviously, you should use detail as much as possible but in some questions there
is simply more room to talk about. If you write it correctly, there should be a minimum
of three lines regardless of the question. However, some such as
"What is your previous experience in any type of moderation?"
Do not, and I can't stress this enough, just write "I staffed a 10-15 player..
server". You should explain how this influenced you as a person
and why this experience makes you a more valuable staff member.

Examples
Here is an example of a good, well expanded question:
"Have you ever been banned or temp banned on any server?"
No, I've never been issued a punishment for a valid reason on any of the
servers which I have joined in the past. I feel that there is simply no reason
why one should be issued punishments if they are able to follow the rules of
the server as I. I feel this approach to rules is good, and as a staff member
my role would be to enforce said rules to ensure that all the players are having as
great a time as I am. I very much feel this way, and have a lust to
give the appropriate punishments to rule-breakers so all players can enjoy
a rule-enforced, fun environment.

Here is an example of a bad, ill-phrased response:
Nah, never been banned anywhere because i read the rules of the server.
i think that getting punished is really bad and it puts me in a bad light
so that's bad.

Hopefully you're all able to see the slightly exaggerated difference between
applicants and that you should be able to talk lots about why your response to
the question you're answering makes you a better candidate than someone else.

Thanks for reading and if you feel I missed anything out please do tell me :)
-Havoc

Real nice tutorial, even though I don't think I'll ever apply I think you really go in to detail in all your tutorials. I really do think this could legitimately help players to create better staff application.

ShiroHibikii

Some tips to add on because it's dumb how many people don't understand:
- Adding colours to your application does not affect the final judgement of the app. (Said by Coolkish himself, the person who does staff apps)
- Try finding proof of acceptance from all the servers you have been staff on, because we don't want liars in our team.
- You may ask other staff for opinions on your applications. DO NOT keep asking us to view your application or it's an instant denial.
- Take USEFUL feedback seriously (Yes I edited it ;3). I've seen many applications where they say they would edit the application according to the feedback but quite a lot of people didn't from my experience.
- Stay on-topic. Quite a few people have gone way too far from the question they were asked to the point where it's completely not needed.
- You may use accepted staff applications as references. NOT to copy them.
- You don't really have to put in so much detail. As long as the message you are trying to portray is there it has a chance of acceptance. Then again, try not to add too little as well.
- Be honest with your pros and cons list. We want to know the REAL you not the FAKE one.
Other than that just try to be yourself when writing your application. Treat it as if you are applying for a job. Happy typing~
~Yoshino

Last edited:
Some tips to add on because it's dumb how many people don't understand:
- Adding colours to your application does not affect the final judgement of the app. (Said by Coolkish himself, the person who does staff apps)
- Try finding proof of acceptance from all the servers you have been staff on, because we don't want liars in our team.
- You may ask other staff for opinions on your applications. DO NOT keep asking us to view your application or it's an instant denial.
- Take feedback seriously. I've seen many applications where they say they would edit the application according to the feedback but quite a lot of people didn't from my experience.
- Stay on-topic. Quite a few people have gone way too far from the question they were asked to the point where it's completely not needed.
- You may use accepted staff applications as references. NOT to copy them.
- You don't really have to put in so much detail. As long as the message you are trying to portray is there it has a chance of acceptance. Then again, try not to add too little as well.
- Be honest with your pros and cons list. We want to know the REAL you not the FAKE one.
Other than that just try to be yourself when writing your application. Treat it as if you are applying for a job. Happy typing~
~Yoshino
Some good points there, One Ill point out is "Take Feedback seriously" I always see this one people will comment "Add blah blah blah" and the creator responds "Oh yeh Ill edit that" a few days later they haven't...

btw I like your new name :)

NotDuck

Examples
Here is an example of a good, well expanded question:
No, I've never been issued a punishment for a valid reason on any of the
servers which I have joined in the past. I feel that there is simply no reason
why one should be issued punishments if they are able to follow the rules of
the server as I. I feel this approach to rules is good, and as a staff member
my role would be to enforce said rules to ensure that all the players are having as
great a time as I am. I very much feel this way, and have a lust to
give the appropriate punishments to rule-breakers so all players can enjoy
a rule-enforced, fun environment.
"I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I""I"
None of that is needed, all you need to say is "No, I've never been banned" Like they dont need your life story here. And also
6. Use improper grammar, Slang, Or swear.
I like how you say not to use improper grammar but you have a capitalized "Or"
Wrong your.

Like why should WE take your advice, are you the god or something????

CowOfSteel

sexy swede
I like how you think your the god off Staffs but when you make your own it has so many grammatical errors lol. I feel like you just copy-pasted the suggestions from another forums just to look proffesional.

Status
Not open for further replies.